Re: Saying hello

Subject: Re: Saying hello
From: williamsmartin69
Date: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 am ((PDT))
David,

I think I might prefer to be around myself to control what's
coming in where practically possible. I have tried leaving out a
cassette tape recorder on a window sill on a dry night. Forgot
about the dew element.Not kind to machines.Thanks for ideas
though.
Martin

--- In
<> wrote:

> Isn't there a recorder out there you can strap to a tree and
come back the next day?  Used mainly in research I think.

Martin,

I use Bushnell Trail cameras strapped to trees which have an
infrared
trigger and the newer models also have sound, but it is not very
good.

An audio recorder can be put into a weatherproof box, but it is
the mics
that need protection. I got my tent idea from rescuing mics from
rain in the
middle of the night. They are old Sennheiser MKH's which survived
a soaking
in their windshields where some other types would die.

I've also tried putting the recorder in the tent but that results
in a great
deal of useless recording and huge files even recording in MP3.

Two tips: Try mounting the mics low or even on the ground. They
often sound
better down there and background noise is often lower. Mic stands
are for
music and speech, but the habit lingers on. Also check out MP3 at
320 rate
against WAV and I will be surprised if you can hear any
difference. Birdsong
in particular compresses well and an MP3 recording collection
doesn't eat up
hard drive space.

David Brinicombe