Re: Saying hello

Subject: Re: Saying hello
From: madl74
Date: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 pm ((PDT))
> Apart from the cost, If that converts the mic signal to digital and then =
the receiver converts it back to analog, I wonder how the recording will be=
 affected.

Peter,

So you've got four conversions: Mic A-D by the transmitter, receiver D-A,
recorder A-D and playback D-A. On a perfect system this should be no proble=
and I would expect noise to be still below natural noise, but each
conversion stage can introduce harmonic and intermodulation distortion in
"affordable" systems. This would probably still be acceptable with
moderately priced pro gear.

The snag would be using a free frequency band with other possible users
interfering on it. Quality transmitters would probably have to be licenced.=

In the UK at least unlicensed gear is liable to get confiscated.

> I was thinking of leaving the recorder with the mics, and just transmitti=
ng the monitoring output. Signal quality wouldn't be so important that way.

You could use CB quality sound for that but would it tell you that the
recorder was actually still in record mode? You'd get a fair idea of what
you were recording.

> A way to control the recorder remotely would be good too. Some of the con=
sumer AV extenders, intended to let you move your tv to another room withou=
t rewiring the pay tv box, include IR remote control extenders too. Don't k=
now about power requirements, don't know about licence requirements either.=
 Perhaps the latter is only a problem over a certain power.
I'm using an off the shelf IR surveillance system to monitor a bat roost an=
the quality is poor, audio and video. The recorder normally runs a hard
drive and that takes a bit of power requiring an external 12V lead acid
battery for long automatic runs. Start adding $zeroes for quality and most=

likely licencing as well as it would need non-domestic bands.

In my book there is nothing like a simple cable. My only caveat is not to
use quad cable for stereo, but use individually screened conductors or twin=

screened, or just two cables.

There is a lot of hype over mic cables, but if you are not going to jump on=

them and continually reel the out and in, and need the nice flexible butyl=

type, go for the cheapest and it will be just as good electrically. I use
"installation" type foil screened cable which I just can't fault but I don'=
reel it up very frequently. Next cheapest is ordinary PVC sheathed. BTW the=

"capacitance" spec is meaningless with low impedance mic links - what to
look for is a cable impedance about 100 to 200 ohms.

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: