Re: Saying hello

Subject: Re: Saying hello
From: freitojos
Date: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm ((PDT))
Hello,

I am using 100m stereo swss made gotham stereo cable. You can see
photos here, under freitojos.

good luck,

Jos=C3=A9

--- In
<> wrote:

Hi,
As a newcomer to Yahoo, this is my first mail. I am from Ireland,
living neither too far from the mountains or the sea. I work as a
music educator which covers everything from teaching to
composing. So my ears being better than my eyes, sound recording
suits me, I suppose. I am neither a total birder or whatever the
equivalent is for a sound recordist.
Nevertheless I have being sound recording 'seriously' since I put
my Sony cheap and simple cassette recorder under the bed (along
with all the recordings of toilets, traffic, doors and wind) and
bought me a Sony MZ-N710 plus a Vivanco mic. Many happy days
recording mainly  birds, wind, water, trees and wherever I
fancied dangling the mic into. Tried a bee hive once, not a good
idea.

Another step up brought to the Sony MZ-RH1,  a Sennheiser ME66
and a Rycote, to keep out the wind. That's where I have been for
the last few years, filling up mini disc after mini disc. Thanks
to the nice people at Audacity and at Raven, I have been able to
edit some of the pile and see some very colourful sonagrams, even
if I can't figure them out yet. And thanks to the internet, which
continues to help me figure out  the whys and hows of  sound
recording technology.

So I came to Yahoo and found there were other people out there
with wires, microphones and cassetes under their beds and who
don't blush about hanging a microphone down a flushing loo (above
the water level of course) or into compost heaps. Another reason
is: the mini disc is with us less, in Ireland at any rate. I
can't buy them in the shop anymore. So I am departing the world
of my little colourful friend and going into the world of the
sound card. Any day now I'm expecting a Roland-R05. I'm told this
used to be Edirol. So there will be less to put under the bed
perhaps.

Well what's next? I would like to record birds from as far away
as possible without having to buy  a parabolic reflector. Not
that I wouldn't, I like the discreetness of the small recorders.
My plan is to get a 50m length of cable,rig it up to the mic. and
hide myself at the other end. Because I'm getting tired of doing
the roving/stand and point technique.
Another dream is to record using a reel to reel recorder, one I
can hang off my shoulder please. The mere sight of just the reels
turning around is just so.....!Thank you for reading.

Martin