Re: Saying hello

Subject: Re: Saying hello
From: madl74
Date: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 pm ((PDT))
> Well what's next? I would like to record birds from as far away as possib=
le without having to buy  a parabolic reflector. Not that I wouldn't, I lik=
e the discreetness of the small recorders. My plan is to get a 50m length o=
f cable, rig it up to the mic. and hide myself at the other end. Because I'=
m getting tired of doing the roving/stand and point technique.

Martin,

I use a stereo pair of gunmics in a cheap tent looking out of the mesh
screen. Fortunately I have somewhere where this can be left out safely.

http://www.stowford.org/recordings.htm#aprildawn

I've got 650 metres of cheap screened twin cable bought at a discount which=

is rolled up in stereo pairs on garden hosereels. The biggest snag is tent=

flap when it gets windy, but I've got stuff I wouldn't have heard any other=

way.

I checked out the entire length of cable and found no degradation with low=

impedance mics. The only trouble I had was from the 11.000V electric line
arcing in wet weather but grounding to a single point fixed that.

Six links come through my bedroom window and I can lie in bed listening to=

the wildlife and birds and if anything interesting happens, I lean across
the bed and push the red button.

> Another dream is to record using a reel to reel recorder, one I can hang =
off my shoulder please. The mere sight of just the reels turning around is =
just so.....!

Did that for 25 years, still got the backache. Hooray for digital. :-)

David Brinicombe