Saying hello

Subject: Saying hello
From: "Martin Williams" williamsmartin6=
9
Date: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:03 am ((PDT))

Hi,

As a newcomer to Yahoo, this is my first mail. I am from Ireland, living ne=
ither too far from the mountains or the sea. I work as a music educator whi=
ch covers everything from teaching to composing. So my ears being better th=
an my eyes, sound recording suits me, I suppose. I am neither a total birde=
r or whatever the equivalent is for a sound recordist.

Nevertheless I have being sound recording 'seriously' since I put my Sony c=
heap and simple cassette recorder under the bed (along with all the recordi=
ngs of toilets, traffic, doors and wind) and bought me a Sony MZ-N710 plus =
a Vivanco mic. Many happy days recording mainly birds, wind, water, trees a=
nd wherever I fancied dangling the mic into. Tried a bee hive once, not a g=
ood idea.

Another step up brought to the Sony MZ-RH1,=C2=A0 a Sennheiser ME66 and a R=
ycote, to keep out the wind. That's where I have been for the last few year=
s, filling up mini disc after mini disc. Thanks to the nice people at Audac=
ity and at Raven, I have been able to edit some of the pile and see some ve=
ry colourful sonagrams, even if I can't figure them out yet. And thanks to =
the internet, which continues to help me figure out=C2=A0 the whys and hows=
 of=C2=A0 sound recording technology.

So I came to Yahoo and found there were other people out there with wires, =
microphones and cassetes under their beds and who don't blush about hanging=
 a microphone down a flushing loo (above the water level of course) or into=
 compost heaps. Another reason is: the mini disc is with us less, in Irelan=
d at any rate. I can't buy them in the shop anymore. So I am departing the =
world of my little colourful friend and going into the world of the sound c=
ard. Any day now I'm expecting a Roland-R05. I'm told this used to be Ediro=
l. So there will be less to put under the bed perhaps.

Well what's next? I would like to record birds from as far away as possible=
 without having to buy=C2=A0 a parabolic reflector. Not that I wouldn't, I =
like the discreetness of the small recorders. My plan is to get a 50m lengt=
h of cable,rig it up to the mic. and hide myself at the other end. Because =
I'm getting tired of doing the roving/stand and point technique.=C2=A0

Another dream is to record using a reel to reel recorder, one I can hang of=
f my shoulder please. The mere sight of just the reels turning around is ju=
st so.....!Thank you for reading.

Martin