Re: Audio Monitors for Editing

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:14:04 -0700
At 05:47 PM 7/26/2004 -0700, Dan Dugan wrote:

>>As I have the ability to be working down into infrasound I've been
>>watching the low end specs as I looked. Very discouraging, I'm likely to
>>end up with something pretty big. Which then won't fit.
>
>Of course not. You want a subwoofer or two.

        An article in $ensible $ound within the last year, I believe, set o=
ut good reasons to avoid subwoofers in the interest of accurate reproductio=
n. IOW, get one for movies, but not for music. The reason was that almost a=
ll external crossover systems are inadequate. Getting an accurate balance w=
ith two speaker systems was virtually impossible.

        As far as a recommendation, I would add the name Paradigm Active 20=
's (which I own) or Active 40's, both of which are no longer made. I bought=
 mine used and they are excellent speakers. The 20's are bookshelf sized (a=
lthough very heavy) and they sound as good as anything I heard up to the $5=
000 category. Yeah, sounds impossible, but.....
        Frequency response claimed is plus or minus 1db from 48hz-22Khz. Go=
ogle a bit and you'll see some impressive reviews.
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
        -- Chuck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA