Re: Audio Monitors for Editing

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:00:56 -0400
From: "benseaward" <>

> Hey Pablo. If the choice is between the Event and Alesis, I'd go
> with the Alesis. I work in a post house as a sound designer/mixer
> and we have Alesis's that we use as one of are monitors for all of
> are compression computers. The have a nice balanced dynamic range
> and feq response. Have you listened to the Tannoy Reveals? They are
> a little bit more in price but I think its worth it. And if you
> really want to sink some money into some increadable speakers. We
> have one of are 5.1 mix rooms with the new Blue Sky monitors, which
> impress and blow me a way everytime I hear them. They only come in
> 2.1 and 5.1 systems and like a said they are pricie but if you ever
> get a chance to listen to them you'll think you're ripping them
> off.  Good luck!!

What is your feeling about powered vs unpowered in some of these higher
end monitors? I've been eyeing monitors too, and a powered set would
save having to get a separate amplifier.

As I have the ability to be working down into infrasound I've been
watching the low end specs as I looked. Very discouraging, I'm likely to
end up with something pretty big. Which then won't fit.

Note that virtually none of us have mix rooms that are designed for the
purpose. The acoustics are far less ideal. Which is why I do most
critical work with headphones. The sound from the computer equipment
alone is reason enough, it amounts to a large noise component. The fact
I'm often working late at night when others are sleeping is another reason.