Re: portable hd recorders

Subject: Re: portable hd recorders
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:48:26 -0400
From: jan.larsson <>

> If we tqlk about stuff recorded from analog (and not digitally
> generated sound etc). Then 125dB is about max dynamic range we can hope
> for. We need to make sure the analog noise-floor is above the digital
> (the latter not sounding very good). So we calibrate 3dB above the
> digial noise. That means 0db level at -16dbFS on the 24-bit digital
> recorder. Which is just about right (recommended for ProTools),
> especially if we are going to apply some digital EQ afterwards.

Of course here in nature recordists we are talking only about analog
source material.

> Personally I decided to stick with 16-bit DAT for a while longer after
> all but 24-bits seems just about right.

If deciding between a quality 16bit A/D and the sort of quality of 24bit
A/D that might be found in less expensive recorders, the 16bit may be
doing a better job.

> In my view there is more quality to gain by tweaking mic-amps than
> anything else.

Indeed, the area before the A/D is often the most neglected. Mic
discussions seem to be dominated by choosing what's cheapest, for
example. And pre's often get no discussion other than price.

> Batteries also need some investigating. Different types of battery
> sound different. Nimh tend to sound clearly better than nicad and lead
> (when applied to micpre/adc). But I have not investigated this enough
> yet. I am going to try and find out why with a bit of measuring - maybe
> nimh has lower output impedance.

I guess I avoid this as I use only NIMH. NIMH is supposed to support
heavier current draw than other types, was initially promoted for
equipment that needed that. That should indicate a lower internal
resistance. Though I'd think that should not be that great a issue in
well designed equipment. Certainly against the other sound quality
issues of nature recording it would be small.