Re: portable hd recorders

Subject: Re: portable hd recorders
From: jan.larsson <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:02:47 +0200
If we tqlk about stuff recorded from analog (and not digitally
generated sound etc). Then 125dB is about max dynamic range we can hope
for. We need to make sure the analog noise-floor is above the digital
(the latter not sounding very good). So we calibrate 3dB above the
digial noise. That means 0db level at -16dbFS on the 24-bit digital
recorder. Which is just about right (recommended for ProTools),
especially if we are going to apply some digital EQ afterwards.

Personally I decided to stick with 16-bit DAT for a while longer after
all but 24-bits seems just about right.

In my view there is more quality to gain by tweaking mic-amps than
anything else.

Batteries also need some investigating. Different types of battery
sound different. Nimh tend to sound clearly better than nicad and lead
(when applied to micpre/adc). But I have not investigated this enough
yet. I am going to try and find out why with a bit of measuring - maybe
nimh has lower output impedance.