Re: Audio Monitors for Editing

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:28:18 -0400
From: Bret <>

> Please note I am using stereo subwoofers.  I agree regarding localizing
> low freq. sounds, though the lower you crossover, and the steeper the
> rate, the less directionalization is an issue (I use about 65hz,
> 24dB/octave)

This localization may be more a fault of the sound reproduction of the
speakers than actual ability to localize low sounds. Since it was
determined using speakers it's kind of hard to separate. It does not
appear to agree with real outdoor experience with the original sounds
all that well.

> If you want a full range speaker, I suggest the B&W 801.  I owned a
> pair for years.  The 801 matrix series 2 have a -6 dB point at 17.5hz
> using their eq circuit.  Their low freq. reproduction has very low
> distortion.

I'll take a look at it.

> Not sure how low you want to go.

I'm not either, I have MKH-110's that go down to 1hz, but don't have a
recorder capable of that. It's going to very much be a try and see sort
of thing. There is very little around on listening to infrasound, mostly
just how to eliminate it. I want to find out what I'll hear. I know
infrasound does color what I hear outside listening to the original sites.

What happens is as our ears run out of ability at the low end our touch
sensation takes over and we feel the sound. The low sound also modulates
the higher frequencies and thus becomes audible. Psychoacoustics says
that these low sounds are very emotionally rich, and therefore important
to our experience of sound.

I'm probably looking for something that's beyond the capabilities of
sound reproduction equipment.

> The B&W Nautilus 801 is the latest incarnation (-6dB @ 23hz & 30khz).

Thanks