Re: editing & CD burning

Subject: Re: editing & CD burning
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:00:31 -0400
From: Vicki Powys <>

> I am also using Mac OS9, Peak LE, and Toast Deluxe (v 4.1).  Plus an Iome=
ga
> Zip CD burner.  I have never been able to solve the problem of hiccups
> between tracks with gaps set at 0 seconds.  There is no click though Walt=
,
> just a micro pause.  This is still noticeable even during a very quiet
> passage of the recording.  It is just not possible to make a seamless CD
> with track numbers functioning as index points in a continuous sequence, =
as
> Mark Griswold (and I) would like to do.
>
> This morning I have tried a few tests, I have "auto snap to zero" always
> ticked ON in Preferences (as suggested by Jeff Klatt).  Micro fades don't
> help either (as suggested by Walt).  I always make up my tracks as separa=
te
> Peak files.  I have also tried the Toast Deluxe function of "Disc At Once=
"
> (DAO) whereby the entire CD can be made without turning off the laser.  T=
his
> function isn't supported by all CD burners however, and it doesn't work w=
ith
> my Zip.  The laser still turns off between tracks.  The micro-pause probl=
em
> must be a Toast thing, and Walt is no doubt right about Jam being better.
> But we still don't know if Jam will solve the micro-pause problem with Pe=
ak
> LE and OS9.  Or even if Jam is still available for OS9.  Does anyone know=
?

Note, I talked about making the frog CD. That was made using Jam 5 in
OS9, before I moved to OSX. In fact I held off going to OSX until it was
finalized. Just in case there were issues. I do still have my last full
OS9 system and apps untouched by OSX on a separate hard disk if needed.

I suspect your problem may be related to your particular burner, If it's
turning off between tracks it's not going to get a perfect continuous
burn. It should be running continuous to do the burn.

It can also be your player, some older cd players would do that. Though
I more strongly suspect your burner, or the Toast driver for it. You
might want to check with Roxio if there is a newer driver for your
burner. Iomega is not one I trust much.

I should say here I've never produced a audio cd for others using just
Toast. I reserve Toast usage for CD-ROM burning. When I first started to
burn audio cds I did considerable research. At that time the most
reliable burns on macs were done with Yamaha burners. So, I got a Yamaha
burner. In those days there were still lots of cd players around that
had issues with burned CD-R audio cd's. So there was considerable
attention paid to the equipment and software. It was clear from my
reading then that the criteria you wanted was that the software burned
full red book compliant cd's, you had the greatest chance it would play
on everything that way. At that time toast, which came with the burner,
did not do full red book compliant cd's. Of the software which did, most
was very costly, but Jam was relatively cheap. So, I got Jam, and that's
what I've used to burn audio cds ever since. Through several software
upgrades, a newer, faster Yamaha and so on. I've recently been burning
with the mac superdrive DVD/CD burner without problems, though the
Yamaha is still hooked up. The fact that Jam is still sold with the
point that it makes full red book compliant cds from the same company
that makes Toast tells me that Toast may still not be building fully
compliant audio cds. Just less noticed as newer cd players are more
tolerant.

Toast with Jam 5 will run with OS 9.1 or above. I know that Jam 5 can do
exactly what you want. I've used it in OS 9. As a bonus for someone new,
if you buy Toast with Jam 5, Peak LE is included. It's available as a
new package, or a upgrade. I'm assuming the version of that included is
OS 9 compatible too. I believe the last version of Peak that was OS 9
was 3.21, but I could be off on that. As I noted, I don't keep track of
Peak LE. I use Toast with Jam 6, the recent upgrade, but Toast with Jam
5 is still being produced for OS9 users.
http://www.roxio.com/

I should note I don't normally make the kind of cd some seem to be
trying, one long recording broken into tracks. Each track is constructed
separately from separate recordings in my normal usage. But these are
matched for volume transition and auditioned before burning in Jam, even
if I'm leaving gaps. I do know Jam will handle the broken long recording
situation. If you are getting what you hear as micro pauses with it,
make sure and use equal power crossfades, or equal volume ones, and that
track volumes are matched. These will maintain the volume across the
transition. A zero gap butted transition should work if done by Jam,
however. If it does not take a long hard look at your cd player if it's
a older one. Some cd players dip the volume at transitions, not common
anymore. A volume dip will sound just like it had a gap even if it did not.

Note some have made comments about Peak and Jam as if they were one
package. They are not, and are stand alone software from different
companies. Peak is a sound editor, has capability to interface to Jam in
the newer versions, but normally you would save aiff audio files and
then separately drop those into Jam to assemble a cd for burning. Jam
will take soundfiles in several formats. Compatability is only a matter
of being in one of those formats. I prefer to edit my soundfiles in Peak
with no special transitions, and then do the crossfades in Jam. Those
crossfades don't modify the original file, so if I later want to do it
different it's just a setting change in Jam. It's hard, if not
impossible to remove a fade in or out edited in with Peak. Before Jam
added crossfades I used to do it that way.