Re: How to decrease the background noise?

Subject: Re: How to decrease the background noise?
From: "feith" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:32:57 -0000
Julie and all,
I was also very surprised by noise the first time I recorded with a
sennheiser ME67 mike, which I think is an excellent microphone. The
fact of the matter I think is that there is alot of noise
everywhere...spending and extra $1000 on a microphone might get you a
6dB lower noisefloor in the most quiet of spaces (i've yet to hear
direct comparisons to convince me i really need a better mike).
Getting closer to the bird is one solution. Using a parabolic dish
might get you slightly cleaner recordings...but I think when it comes
down to it, filtering (whether by EQ and/or broadband noise
reduction) will almost always help a great deal. There are many in
this list who have examples of great recordings...but conditions for
these recordings are rare. I think it is often a matter of being at
the right place at the right time. (and having a decent blimp
windscreen and shockmount along with patience and luck)
cheers,
John Feith
Madison, WI
Bird Song Ear Training Guide CD