Re: How to decrease the background noise?

Subject: Re: How to decrease the background noise?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:46:22 -0400
From: "feith" <>

> Julie and all,
> I was also very surprised by noise the first time I recorded with a
> sennheiser ME67 mike, which I think is an excellent microphone. The
> fact of the matter I think is that there is alot of noise
> everywhere...spending and extra $1000 on a microphone might get you a
> 6dB lower noisefloor in the most quiet of spaces (i've yet to hear
> direct comparisons to convince me i really need a better mike).
> Getting closer to the bird is one solution. Using a parabolic dish
> might get you slightly cleaner recordings...but I think when it comes
> down to it, filtering (whether by EQ and/or broadband noise
> reduction) will almost always help a great deal. There are many in
> this list who have examples of great recordings...but conditions for
> these recordings are rare. I think it is often a matter of being at
> the right place at the right time. (and having a decent blimp
> windscreen and shockmount along with patience and luck)
> cheers,

It is one of the dirty tricks the high end mics play. I'm constantly
wanting that high end quiet mic with the dial on it. Everything I want
in the recording is within 100'? Set the dial to 100' and it will make a
perfect pickup of everything inside that limit and sharply cut off
everything outside. Unfortunately I think such a mic is technically
right up there with Stargates and warp drives. Meanwhile the SASS makes
this lovely recording of the local ambiance plus the truck miles away.
And I spend more time waiting for the truck to go away than recording.

Filtering can do wonders, if your goal is just to get that silly
birdcall. But, if you want his environment, it's all up and down the
frequency scale or any other scale you can come up with, any filtering
will alter it. It's delicate and easily damaged.

I do agree conditions for great recordings are fairly uncommon.
Experience and good equipment can make them more common but not by a
whole lot. I operate on having the equipment and technique so if I get
the chance for that good recording I might get it. Meanwhile I often
record where less capable equipment would do.

It's kind of like owning a 4WD truck for field transport. Most of the
time the 4WD is not engaged, but when it is not having it is a huge
handicap. For a few moments it's essential, then you go back to mundane
driving down the road. You do get to more places, however. With less
fuss and bother.