Re: How to decrease the background noise?

Subject: Re: How to decrease the background noise?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:33:15 -0400
From: "bluemagpie2003" <>

> Well, this is my problem....
>
> I use the sennheiser ME67 and maranz PMD690.
> Every sound recorded had two kinds of noise.
> One is the noise of unspecific frequency which
> I'll decrese it with "hiss reduction" in adobe audition.
> The other is the noise of <2kHz which I'll use the
> filter to decrease it.
> Though in a very quiet environment, they seems to
> exit(especially the lower frequency).
> Actually I don't like to manage the original sound
> too much, that sometime change the target sound.
> Is there any good way to solve the problem?
> or sould I check anything?

What you probably have is a combination of environmental noise
(particularly the low frequencies, which carry greater distances) and
self noise of mic or recorder pre. You are probably using considerable
gain to pick up distant subjects.

The best "cure" is to get closer, then you will use less gain when
recording. There will be more difference between the sound level of your
subject and the background or self noise. A shotgun is just a regular
mic as far as it's ability to pick up distant subjects. It just cuts out
some of the off axis sound. But, it's designed for picking up sound from
a few tens of feet, not the great distances we force on it. The less
amplification you have to use the better.

If you can't routinely get closer and the noise is a problem, then
consider a mic that has real gain with distant subjects, a parabolic
mic. It won't do a lot about environmental noise, but has considerable
gain before the mic, which will reduce the relative effect of mic and
pre noise.

Otherwise experiment with every filter you have to see if it helps. Best
way to sort out your particular filter set's effect on your recordings
is to simply play with them a lot before you need to do anything
serious. You can only do so much that way, however, without messing up
the natural ambiance. For a individual call you can be quite heavy
handed in removing everything else. But ambiance you can do little. If
you want both, it's just like doing ambiance.

Finally, down here in the pines, even the slightest breeze and the pines
put out a hiss. It's the natural breeze sound around pines, though it
sounds pretty much like mic hiss. For that your only hope is a
absolutely still day. The point is, before removing things find out if
they belong.

You don't actually have a recording of the original sound in any case.
But some electronic imitation of it. Changing that imitation to make it
sound more like your memory of the original is not the kind of sin that
it is often called. Science is probably the worst about believing they
have captured the original sound and therefore cannot modify it. Your
recording is your creation, modify it to suit you. Either onsite when
recording, or later when processing. The criteria the scientists I deal
with have for my frogcall recordings is that they sound right. Their
yardstick is hearing the calls in the wild. How I get that is up to me.