Re: editing & CD burning

Subject: Re: editing & CD burning
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:58:33 +1000
on 17/7/04 6:00 AM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:

Vicki wrote in part:

>> I am also using Mac OS9, Peak LE, and Toast Deluxe (v 4.1).  Plus an Iom=
ega
>> Zip CD burner.  I have never been able to solve the problem of hiccups
>> between tracks with gaps set at 0 seconds.  .....
>>
>>  I have also tried the Toast Deluxe function of "Disc At Once"
>> (DAO) whereby the entire CD can be made without turning off the laser.  =
This
>> function isn't supported by all CD burners however, and it doesn't work =
with
>> my Zip....

Walt replied:

> I suspect your problem may be related to your particular burner, If it's
> turning off between tracks it's not going to get a perfect continuous
> burn. It should be running continuous to do the burn.

Yes I agree Walt, it seems the Iomega Zip CD burner that I have, does not
support Disc at Once.

Toast though does make "proper" (if no-frills) audio CDs.  I know because
the master CD that I make gets mass-duplicated for our Australian Wildlife
Sound Recording Group, and it apparently plays, no hassles, on everyone's C=
player.

Jam no doubt can make continuous burns, but not if the CD burner didn't
support that function.

To upgrade to a new CD burner that has Disc At Once capability (I see that
the latest LaCie CD burner does have DAO capability) that means buying the
burner, upgrading my OS system from 9.0 to to 9.1 minimum, and upgrading my
version of Toast to 5 or higher.  It's all like a dog chasing its tail, I'l=
never catch up!  Guess I'll stick with what I've got and get the most I can
out of it, until my little old iMac falls apart.  From your descriptions
Walt, I'm not looking forward to OSX!

My other continuing problem in audio CD burning is that the burner, for
about 3 or 4 out of every 10 CDs, inexplicably fails mid-burn.  I've tried
everything to overcome this, but it seems to be just a USB 1 problem.  Need
a new computer to solve it.

I did get as far as obtaining a CD (9 MB) with the necessaries to upgrade t=
OS 9.1, except that one of the files would not transfer to the desktop,
namely the CD folder, not sure if that is significant or not.

Vicki Powys
Australia