Re: editing & CD burning

Subject: Re: editing & CD burning
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:14:39 -0400
From: Dan Dugan <>

> I did that too, for insurance. I only have one machine I have to boot
> into 9 now, my PowerBook, to run Spectrafoo for metering.

In my case I have two external hard disk enclosures attached to my
desktop. These contain 6 73gig hard disks. Less used data, the original
last OS 9 disk, and a bunch of 2nd copy clones of that and a full clone
of my working OSX. I don't normally have those disks powered up, but can
power them up and boot from the ones with systems anytime. I normally
run off the two hard disks in the G4, another 73 gig and a 140 gig, one
of which is just a backup and clone disk as well containing clones of my
mac and three others. OSX is not as well aimed at working with multiple
disks or systems. But it can be done.

When I moved to OSX I decided to make it clean. To make it all work in
OSX. I upgraded everything to OSX versions, did battle with system and
programs and got it all working. For months I did not dare try anything
serious. I even tried to avoid using anything in Classic. I abandoned a
lot of good stuff to do this. I've just about made 100% conversion. I
get unhappy with some capability loss, the higher risk because of poor
backup ability and gripe a lot. But, I can't move up to a G5 until I'm
sure it all works. And they have gotten the bugs out of the G5's. Maybe
next year.

> My understanding is that Toasted products are fully compliant (I've
> sent masters for pressing), but Toast offer all the features that a
> full CD mastering program has, esoteric stuff like ISRC codes for
> each song. Not very important.

For mere mortals the big advantage of Jam over Toast is that it's got
all these detailed controls over the construction of the CD. I don't
monkey with codes and such like, though I have considered looking into
track titling. Those are mostly missing with Toast. I'm so spoiled I'd
never survive working with just Toast. I do final volume level matching
while auditioning in Jam. I sort out track interfaces in Jam, and so on.
Yes, I'm sure I could make an acceptable audio Cd in Toast. But why
should I suffer.