Re: editing & CD burning

Subject: Re: editing & CD burning
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:41:14 -0400
From: Mark Griswold <>

> thanks for all the informative replies!
>
> I've learned more than I ever thought there was to know about CD
> burning.

I did realize in the course of another discussion on the list that there
is another cause and something to try. I discussed DC offset and some of
it's effects elsewhere.

If your file contains a DC offset, even the best job of fading won't
eliminate the sudden transition at each end of the file. The DC offset
will remain as a transition, and that is known to cause pops and cracks.

DC offset is more common and can be larger if you use analog transfer
into your computer. There are all kinds of other causes, including
defective equipment. Fortunately removing it is simply a matter of the
software analyzing the entire soundtrack for a bias away from the zero
center and mathematically add/subtract the right amount to center the
track average on zero. That's far easier than being absolutely sure it's
not introduced in the first place.

Unfortunately, if I remember right, you use Peak LE, which does not
contain the DC offset removal, which is in the DSP menu in the full
Peak. So, it's going to be a little harder to check out. But, it is
something to try if you can find a way.

Once DC offset is removed, a lot of the other advice will work much
better. Or may not even be necessary.