birding-aus

Academics v birdwatchers

To: "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'michael norris'" <>
Subject: Academics v birdwatchers
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:39:44 +1100
In answer to your question and also in an exercise in depressed modesty,
I put forward the work that Canberra Ornithologists Group have done
since 1981 in our Garden Bird Survey and my books on it "Canberra Birds:
A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey" as something
equivalent of, say, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and its citizen
science programs. Indeed ours is rather better because of the level of
detail it achieves, even though of small geographic scope. I also point
out that the same survey could be done by any large group of bird
interested people in any city anywhere in Australia (results need to be
kept separate for analysis for each city). It does need a minimum of at
least about 50 sites surveyed per city for most weeks every year to be
useful though. The method has been worked out, the computer systems have
been developed. The only "people to blame" for this not happening are
the people who are not doing it.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902