birding-aus

Academics v birdwatchers

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Academics v birdwatchers
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:30:48 +1030
As someone who has attended the last two Australasian Ornithological
Conferences, and not myself being an academic, I found the attendees
approachable, willing to help and offer advice, friendly, ready for a chat and
a drink, and a whole lot of fun. And to enjoy a field trip with some of the
countries best field ornithologists is worth the trip on its own. I think the
point is being missed in all this discussion on the "barrier" between academics
and "birdwatchers".
I think the only people building Great Walls of China to keep the rabbits out
are the mis-informed or plain ignorant who don't seem to understand that we are
all interested in the same things and that some of these academics are amongst
the countries best birdwatchers, and that some of the real grass roots
knowledge about bird behaviour is gathered by amateurs.
I suggest we get back to what is important and stop the relentless, constant,
repetitive niggling that makes being part of being in a bird group like this
bluntly a "BORE", if you don't like birdwatchers, then don't go birdwatching,
if you don't like academics then don't read journals or attend conferences.
I don't like Top 40 music much so I don't listen to the radio, pretty easy
really.

Bob Green