birding-aus

Academics v birdwatchers

To: michael norris <>,
Subject: Academics v birdwatchers
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:53:59 +1100
"What authority is there for the bird data?"

This is exactly why we should get our observations into print!
Anthea Fleming

michael norris wrote:
Hi Russell and all

With very great respect that misses the point that amateurs have a lot to offer (as you do in your way).

Citizen science is highly respected across the globe but it seems that we in Australia are supposed to leave it to the experts.

Challenge a Council Plan and you may be asked what authority there is for the bird data.

And how many Councils encourage citizen science in their search for evidence-based policies?

We birdos need encouragement - not barriers - to contributing to policy.

Michael Norris