Re: Olympus recorder comparisons

Subject: Re: Olympus recorder comparisons
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm ((PST))
For the record, the Olympus LS-10 / 10S / 11 / 5 recorders are fundamentall=
y the same, with identical form factors, controls, and electronics. Here ar=
e the differences:

internal memory in GB: 2 / 2 / 8 / 2
battery life in hours: 12 / 12 / 23 / 23
maximum size of SDHC in GB: 8 / 8 / 32 / 32
mono recording available: no / no / yes / yes
files can be indexed, cut, moved: no / no / yes / yes
automatic recording triggered by input level: no / no / yes / yes
enforced LF cut*: yes / yes / no / no
acts as A/D computer interface: no / no / no / yes
colour: black / black / silver / blue
included software: Cubase LE4 / none / Cubase LE4 / Sonority
soft case included: yes / no / yes / no
remote control included: no / no / yes / no

* This is in addition to the switchable LF. I note that it's never been a p=
roblem for me, since in practice I would always be rolling off LF anyway.

The Olympus LS-3 / 7 are based on different circuits, with noisier pre-amps=
 (4dB A-weighted according to Raimund). Being smaller, they lack a line in.=
 They do have a pre-record buffer and some other new features. Not to menti=
on a third centre microphone.

It appears the Olympus LS-12 and 14 are based on the LS-3 template.

IMO the Olympus LS-5 is the best value hand-held digital recorder on the ma=
rket: all the important features and no-compromise sound quality at less th=
an =A3150 / =80150. It would be perfect if only they would add a pre-record=
 buffer and the dual-recording safety mode of devices like the Tascam DR-40=
.

-- Robin Parmar