1. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?

Subject: 1. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:33 am ((PST))
Thanks, Raimund.

My numbers are definitely a little suspect because I do not
understand how the DC and AC components of the circuit interact.

But don't you think that my battery box, using a 9v battery and 6.8
kohm resistors has an unnecessarily high output impedance? To be
safe, one could use Primo's circuit that uses 5v and a 3.9 kohm
resistor. But I think that 4.8v and 1.8 kohm resistors might supply
the voltage and current the capsule needs with a lower output
impedance, by a few dB, than what I am getting, which might be useful
for folks using recorders that are a little noisier than the LS-11.

I'm now thinking that resistors any lower than 1.8k with a 4.8v
supply might raise the current too high. It depends on how the
apparent resistance of the capsule changes with the voltage, which I
do not understand. All I can tell is that the apparent resistance
goes up as the voltage goes up.

That's about as far as my limited knowledge can take me. I'm going to
try 4.8v and 1.8 kohms and see what happens.

John

John Crockett
Westminster, Vermont

Let us live in harmony with Earth