Re: Transferring cassettes

Subject: Re: Transferring cassettes
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 pm ((PST))
On Feb 11, 2011, at 4:19 AM,  wrote:

> Just tried it with my Fostex FR2-LE and the Zoom H4n and it works fine. B=
oth have large
> female audio jack connectors build inside their XLR connectors. I went di=
rectly from chinch of
> the cassette deck to the large audio jack connectors of the recorders wit=
hout changing any
> setting, it was just the same like having microphones connected. Zoom H4n=
 was not able to
> level the recording under -6dB though, while the fostex input gain contro=
l had enough room to
> level it up and down.

While the Fostex uses the quarter inch (6.5mm) jacks for its line inputs, t=
he sensitivity on those jacks is more akin to the RCA 'cinch' connectors on=
 your average home cassette recorder. Most other machines (including I beli=
eve the Zoom H4n) that use quarter inch line input jacks are looking for th=
e stronger "pro line level" of +4 dBm, rather than the "consumer" level -10=
 dBu of the Fostex FR2LE and most RCA connectors.