Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:39:50 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> I use a 32" Greg Clark Parabolic. Not in commercial production.
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/rich.jpg

Could you give us it's other critical dimensions?

> I am starting to think that not all people do hear the same way.

I've made that point numerous times, enough so I'm beginning to wonder
if anyone is listening. Not only do we differ in our physical ears, but
the sound we "hear" is what our brain produces based on the signals from
our ears. This is highly influenced by our experience, our moods, our
attitudes, all previous things we have heard. I simply find it amazing
that we hear even close to the same thing.

  It
> is true that I was blessed with good very high hearing.  As a kid I=20
> played games with other kids at night where I would tell them where a
> bat was going to be comming from because I could hear their echo
> location calls at a distance.  Where most people do feel that the
> Telinga makes a complex sound, sound closer, to me it does not, and
> simply makes the sound shrill.

I, too could hear bats fairly easily when I was young. Not any more. I
do miss hearing things like the sound of bats.

Sometimes the Telinga produces the nearer effect to me, most often it
does that. And sometimes it is shrill, at least as I understand that
term, like the peepers at the Gopher Frog pond which took considerable
management to record. I'm sure I don't record exactly the same way you
do, and also sure I don't hear sounds the same way you do. I don't like
shrill sounds much, and have learned ways to manage the times I have
that problem with the Telinga.