Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:40:19 +0100
Can sombody, again, define what "shrill" means.

Klas.

At 22:39 2004-02-25 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Rich Peet" <>
>>
>> I use a 32" Greg Clark Parabolic. Not in commercial production.
>> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/rich.jpg
>
>Could you give us it's other critical dimensions?
>
>> I am starting to think that not all people do hear the same way.
>
>I've made that point numerous times, enough so I'm beginning to wonder
>if anyone is listening. Not only do we differ in our physical ears, but
>the sound we "hear" is what our brain produces based on the signals from
>our ears. This is highly influenced by our experience, our moods, our
>attitudes, all previous things we have heard. I simply find it amazing
>that we hear even close to the same thing.
>
>  It
>> is true that I was blessed with good very high hearing.  As a kid I
>> played games with other kids at night where I would tell them where a
>> bat was going to be comming from because I could hear their echo
>> location calls at a distance.  Where most people do feel that the
>> Telinga makes a complex sound, sound closer, to me it does not, and
>> simply makes the sound shrill.
>
>I, too could hear bats fairly easily when I was young. Not any more. I
>do miss hearing things like the sound of bats.
>
>Sometimes the Telinga produces the nearer effect to me, most often it
>does that. And sometimes it is shrill, at least as I understand that
>term, like the peepers at the Gopher Frog pond which took considerable
>management to record. I'm sure I don't record exactly the same way you
>do, and also sure I don't hear sounds the same way you do. I don't like
>shrill sounds much, and have learned ways to manage the times I have
>that problem with the Telinga.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:01 2005
Message: 4
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:38:32 -0000
From: "jarretth84" <>
Subject: Re: Myself, and AKG Blue Line questions

I found this...
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?
do=products.main&ID=e1f3fc161e0af5eb5ac80481dc5efffa

Any comments/experience with it? Overall it has everything I need,
but I don't know much else then that.

The Sound Devices look quite good: MM1 and MP1 if I'm not mistaken.

--- In  "jarretth84"
<> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm studying to become an audio engineer (broad field of course)
at:
> http://www.oiart.ca
>
> I'd like to get into Classical recording primarly, but movies and
> nature recordings (sfx) interest me too.
> I figure a great way to get into movies or any sfx for that matter
> would be to start a library.
>
> I kind of narrowed it down to the AKG Blue Line because....
>
> - swappable capsules!!
> - fair price
>
> I'm really for swappable capsules because it allows me to buy a
> quality mic and still have the option for other polar patterns.
While