Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: Bret <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:07:35 -0800 (PST)
--- Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> From: "Rich Peet" <>
> >
> > The things that I am fighting myself with here are:
> > 1. Is it agreed that the size of the focal globe changes with
> > frequency?
>
> I'm not so sure but what the focal globe idea is not misleading or at
>
> least misused. In my visualization of things, if it exists as a
> useful
> concept, then it's size is not frequency dependent. It's dependent
> primarily on how well the dish conforms to a ideal parabola, and how
> far
> off axis we are including in the 'globe'.

I may be wrong, but I think the size of the globe must be frequency
dependent.  I believe this is true especially if you have an ideal
parabolic reflector.=20

As you move a given distance from the absolute point of focus, this
distance is a larger phase difference for shorter wavelengths than it
is for longer wavelengths.  This phase difference at the off focus
position is one mechanism that would give rise to interference or
cancelation rather than the addition of pressure as occurs at the
absolute focus (because the arrival at focus is in phase from all dish
reflecting points).=20
bret

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:03 2005