Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:33:05 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> I guess the only other dimension you really want is it is about a
> 8.5" focal length.  Would need to measure it again to be sure.

There is one more measurement. Plunk a straightedge across the dish and
measure from that to the vertex, the dish depth. It's the ratio of that
divided by focal length that's the critical measure in Sten's analysis.
We can try and line your dish up with his graphs.

> I could only find one comparitive recording in my archive of the Greg
> Clark next to the Telinga.  It was the same target, same location,
> same recorder, about 2 mins apart. Target about 200' and 6 lane
> expressway at 90 degrees off in the distance. Stereo Telinga and I
> don't know if it had a low filter on or not.
>
> To be fair about my comment of shrill, use a FFT filter on the sound
> and cut everything below 1,000 cycles.

Making it the characteristics of the high end that's being compared.
Actually, my question is why your dish is not shrill under such
conditions. While it's risky as the gain is probably not evenly matched,
I did another sonogram:
http://naturerecordist.home.mindspring.com/Clark-Telinga.jpg

I'm assuming the right hand part is the Telinga and left is your dish.

If so, you had the Telinga set with it's low cut on by the look of it.
And you did not have a low cut running on the Clark.

Note the sharper definition of the Telinga of the frogcalls, and that it
got more of the higher frequency components? This could be a gain
difference, but if it's real that sharper definition may be all it takes
to sound more shrill. Particularly with a 1khz high pass.

Also note the dropoff in background sound in the Clark above 1.34kHz
while the Telinga continues the background sound higher. The same sort
of dropout was in the other Clark sonogram, but having it here too makes
it a bit more likely it's the Clark and not the environment or sound source.

Also note the band of sound down at the 330 - 664Hz range in the
Telinga, that looks typical for what I get for traffic, it's mostly tire
sounds. Since your dish has poor gain in this range it acted as a
traffic filter in this instance, the greater sound levels in this band
mask it's gain dropout we saw in the other sono.

The other thought I've had on shrill is that it might be possible the
Telinga is resonating a bit with intense high frequencies, more than the
Clark as it's much lighter material. Though this sono seems to say the
opposite.

> A download to choke a horse, 5 megs.
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/gcvte.wav

Indeed, my modem was not at all happy about this load. Took some time
and two tries.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:02 2005
Message: 14