Dave Ruddick & the Ares P

Subject: Dave Ruddick & the Ares P
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:18:38 -0800
I don't know how many of you have read this letter from Dave Ruddick using
the Nagra Ares P hand held recorder but what a testimony for the machine,
recon this would be a great tool to have?

>From Mount Everest

Finally have a chance to let you know how the Ares P is working on Mt.
Everest. We are about a month into the expedition . Film and things are
going smoothly. It's too bad that the Nagra V was not able to make it for
the trip, but now that we are starting to climb above camp one and two
(21.500 FT) it might have been a problem for me. Our Sherpa support for
carrying equipment has occasionally run into a few logistical problems so I
have ended up carrying all my own sound and climbing equipment. This can be
very crushing climbing with full loads and recording sound. The Ares P is
now a part of my regular recording / climbing package. The key to climbing
safely on this mountain is climbing quickly through the dangerous sections.
The Ares P is a great addition to the climbing sound package.

My high altitude recording set up is a sound devices 2 channel Mixpre
feeding both the Ares P and a small Sony d-8 Dat. This set up is very small
and compact and gives me two recording devices. The cold temperatures have
had less effect on the LCD of the Ares P than the Dat. I also have been
getting used to the Ares P settings so I can work it blind, in case it does
get so cold that the Ares P LCD does not read. The key feature for this
situation is the little red recording light and instant play back to check
the recording.

So far we have only just established high camps as high as 21,500 ft (camp
2). We are now in base camp refueling and will be heading up to camp 3 soon
(23,500 ft) and up to camp 4. One more trip to base camp to re-fuel then we
will make our first summit attempt. It's a hell of a lot of work going up
and down this mountain and recording sound, so light weight equipment is a
great solution and the Ares P is doing great.

I have had the opportunity to use the Ares P self-contained with the stereo
and mono microphone on the trek into base camp to gather sound effects. I
cannot believe that more people are not using this unit for recording.
Having such a small quick recording set up has allowed me to gather some
great stuff. I have recorded the Yak caravans hauling gear up to base camp,
heated discussions in tea house's, impromptu songs from porters on the trai=
and monks performing morning ceremonies. If I had tried to set up a
microphone, mixer, recorder set up I would have missed the opportunity
completely. I can't imagine not having an Ares P with me when I travel any
more.

I know I might be waxing on about this unit too much and you're thinking I
have high altitude hypoxia, but as a location soundman I think the Ares P i=
a very important tool to have. Using it handheld with the detachable
microphones and using it directly from the mixer as a line input device. I
have had a little trouble with handling noise when I use the screw on
microphones, but I am getting better. I have had no problems with using the
recorder as a direct line input recording device. I have also been down
far so good!

So now the real work begins. I leave tomorrow for about a week to camp 3 an=
a lap to camp 4, then back to base camp for refueling. Then it's off for th=
summit bid. I will let you know how the Ares P performs at 29,000 ft and wh=
knows how cold it will be.

I know that the Nagra V would have preformed flawlessly up here. There will
be more high altitude climbs in the future requiring high quality audio. Wh=
knows Geographic has just signed me on to a black Rhino relocation in
Namibia in July and there is talk of an expedition to Antarctica next sprin=
to find Shackeltons lost ship the Endurance. I cannot wait to move on from
the DAT recording system and into the future.

Thanks again for all your help getting the Ares P to me on such short
notice. I will keep you updated as things progress here at Mt. Everest.

Best regards,

Dave Ruddick

Martyn

http://www.naturesound.org