Re: Cage 100

Subject: Re: Cage 100
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Thu Sep 6, 2012 3:43 pm ((PDT))
> "Found art," he sniffed. "That=92s because all true
> artists know that germane to their respective crafts is
> transformation: the inspired conversion of sound or image from one
> medium to another, or ideas from mind to page -- ultimate
> expressions far more resounding than the sources from which they
> spring."

Bernie,

You are down to fundamentals with this Cage quote. However, would you
consider that there is a profound difference between the visual arts
and sound arts?

I'm going back to lectures in the BBC Technical Training Dept. where
they tended to refer to sound reproduction as an illusion. I would
suggest that a difference is that you can readily copy a painting or
photograph, but re-recording sounds is more like reproducing an
ephemral effect. It's the difference between listening to live
musicians playing or listening to loudspeaker cones. I'm not talking
about copying a recording, but copying a reproduced sound as being
different to re-photgraphing a photograph.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce