Re: Cage 100

Subject: Re: Cage 100
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Thu Sep 6, 2012 5:33 am ((PDT))
Howdy!
=C2=A0
Just a short note about John Cage.
=C2=A0
Nearly fifty (wow, fifty!) years ago, John Cage presented a program at the =
college I attended in the upstate hills of New York. Several people walked =
out.=C2=A0I listened as he began with a script and then started a series of=
 recordings on several tape recorders. It was an existential program, which=
 like many works of art, took a while to digest.
=C2=A0
While I was not an arts student, the experimental approach was appreciated =
by this science student. I continue to experiment with sound.
=C2=A0
For those of you who recognize my signature as well as others, that means l=
istening to recordings of spontaneous speech by talking birds. Following Ca=
ge's lead, I have discovered meaning in many recordings, because, believe i=
t or not, many parrots are learning language. Several years ago, I would be=
 laughed off the stage. Thanks to pioneers like Cage, I have been able to=
=C2=A0be heard at scientific and general "art" gatherings to understand the=
 mind of another species through recorded speech. Thank you Professor Cage!
=C2=A0
Mike
Florida
http://www.parrotspeech.com/
=C2=A0

=C2=A0
Cage 100
Wed Sep 5, 2012 5:26 am (PDT) . Posted by:
"Mark" seoulgypsy
Fowarding this fantastic work by Lawrence Johnson

Hello Everyone,

Happy hundredth birthday, John Cage. Congratulations to all who knew and/or=
 learned from this wonderful man.

To commemorate this day, I wrote some short texts. I hope it's okay to shar=
e one with you-- a verbal =E2=80=9Cpassacaglia=E2=80=9D-- and provide a lin=
k to the others.

=3DLawrence Johnson