Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in
From: "robin_parmar_sound" robin_parmar_soun=
Date: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 pm ((PST))

Dan Dugan wrote:

> Noise-removing algorithms damage the sound irreparably. There are of use =
in forensics, and in constructing mixes for film, where destroying the ambi=
ence of a particular clip doesn't matter because another ambience is being =
mixed in.

> The way to avoid hiss is to get the mics closer to the source, or use qui=
eter mics.

I would have to agree with this. Be extremely wary of removing noise with a=
ny process. Even if you think you are not hurting the sound, it is likely t=
rue instead that you are simply not hearing the damage you are doing (due t=
o poor monitoring conditions or lack of experience).

I only use noise reduction when I do not need fidelity to the original sour=
ce, and when I am mixing the modified sound into another bed.

You can try some subtle EQ, especially if you find an offensive frequency r=
egion that also happens to be free of the signal you are interested in.

-- Robin Parmar