Re: sppeded up recordings

Subject: Re: sppeded up recordings
From: "doctorobotnik" doctorobotnik
Date: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:33 pm ((PST))
Hi John,

Older Sound Blasters operate internally at 48k all of the time, so anything=
 to do with 44.1k is resampled. This affects the optical inputs too. I don'=
t know if the newer SBs do this too, but I'd be wary of trusting my digital=
 audio signals with a Creative product due to their penchant for fixed-rate=
 internal processing.

If your card belongs to the older generation of Sound Blasters, despite the=
 possibility of tweaking the settings to fix the apparent playback rate pro=
blem, your audio will still be subjected to two bouts of the  Creative SRC =
algorithm.

Optical in at 44.1k will upsampled to 48k for internal procesing, then down=
sampled to 44.1k and passed on to your PCs audio drivers.

Two passes of unnecessary and probably not very well done resampling makes =
me want to start an online petition of some sort :)

In your position I'd buy a cheap 'prosumer' card with optical in that acts =
as a pure, straight-pipe path to Audition, with no funny business along the=
 way. Something like an ESI Julia (~$150) would do the trick.

Good luck with your transfers,

Ben