Re: notes from the Neotropics

Subject: Re: notes from the Neotropics
From: "Kawika" dkuhn012001
Date: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 pm ((PST))
Thanks Bernie, I didn't get your note until I got back. The problem was not=
 moisture apparently--tried your idea but no change. I sent it off to Sennh=
eiser today.
My fall-back make-do method (...melding of the one MKH20 with the Telinga-w=
ithout-the-parabola)  is turning out--working on it now and will send some =
along.
Aloha,
David
--- In  Bernie Krause <> wrote:

> David, try to warm up the MKH20 in some way. In Africa, I set the mic =

> a foot or so above a kerosene lamp with a medium flame. On top of the =

> lamp, I put a small piece of tin foil so that the mic wouldn't get
> covered with carbon from the flame and just the heat would warm it up =

> and dry it out. I let it hang there for a bit over an hour. That
> seemed to revive it absent any other prospect. Good luck.
>
> Bernie
>

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Kawika wrote:
>
> > Hola Compadres,
> > I'm out here in Tikal, Guatemala, enjoying the big noisy birds and
> > rich soundscapes. Not much has seemed to have changed from the '80's =

> > when I spent time here--unlike at home in Hawaii, where the endemics =

> > seem to be going fast, more later on that.
> > The vicissitudes of travelling with recording gear have dealt a
> > blow--one of my MKH20's fizzled and expired, so I won't get the
> > soundscapes I dreamed of, like from Temple IV in Tikal, the sounds
> > from which had a lot to do with inspiring me to get into recording. =

> > My fall-back for soundscapes will have to be a melding of the one
> > MKH20 with the Telinga--without-the-parabola, mixed in post. Ah well.
> > Otherwise I'll do a lot of hunting with the parabola.
> >
> > Adios,
> > David

> Wild Sanctuary
> POB 536