Re: notes from the Neotropics

Subject: Re: notes from the Neotropics
From: "Robb Nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2012 11:14 am ((PST))
One of the most profound sound experiences of my life was in Tikal.  I
think it was around 1996.  I was traveling around with my belongings,
including basic camping gear, in a backpack and didn't really have a
place to put it, so I carried it around Tikal all day.  As evening came
and everybody started to clear out, I decided it would be fun to clamber
atop one of the more out-of-the-way pyramids and spend the night there.
Looking down on the jungle flashing away with a myriad of fireflies and
only guessing at mysterious and sometimes creepy night sounds was
amazing enough.  Then at dawn, the jungle soundscape exploded with
howler monkeys in the treetops at eye-level and dozens of various bird
calls.

The beauty of being young: I didn't give much thought to how appropriate
it was culturally or ecologically.  It just seemed like the right thing
to do at the time.  I don't know if I'd do it again.  But if I did, I'd
sure like to have an ambiosonic rig at that vantage point.

Enjoy!  Robb