Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in
From: "Rich DDT" sfroommate
Date: Sun Feb 5, 2012 5:40 pm ((PST))
Since writing this I have done more research and added a few new candidates=
 to consider. I discovered the new Olympus LS-7 and LS-100 (I also found th=
e LS-5 but it seems to have been discontinued). These both add the desirabl=
e preroll buffer feature, but apparently the noise floor of the LS-7 is 2-3=
dB noisier. The LS-100 seems too new to have been reviewed anywhere, but se=
ems promising, like it has all the Zoom H4n features, but likely with much =
better sound quality.
Great thread here on Olympus LS-7 vs LS-11 specs:

The response of Klas, above, is one of the most compelling I've seen in all=
 the archives here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's saying a few dB of di=
fference is really not a big deal, only noticeable with a special low outpu=
t voltage external mic. And that such a low voltage external microphone is =
not even available to buy.

To reiterate, I am new to all this, and my priority is capturing low-noise =
nature sounds in quiet environments (in particular I really want to make a =
deep frog croak stand out). I want to try my first recording s with the int=
ernal mic, and then, as many are suggesting, I will probably need to upgrad=
e to a nice external mic later. So choosing a recorder that is compatible w=
ith a nice mic (maybe parabolic? again I know little about mics) is importa=
nt. I do already have an SM-58 though, which I assume would work well with =
the LS-100.

Also, Sony might be up to something new to compete with the LS-100 and H4n.=
.. I'm guessing this because the D50 is now discontinued!:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=3D=
10551&storeId=3D10151&langId=3D-1&productId=3D8198552921665760564
Anyone have insight on this?

Lastly, Robin's words of advice come to mind:
"It is all about mics. And the microphones can cost many times the price of=
 the recorder. And then you will need cable adapters, stands, wind shields =
and maybe an external power supply. Pretty soon the recorder is the least o=
f your concerns. At this point getting a diploma in audio engineering start=
s looking like a pretty good upgrade to your equipment!"
from http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2010/09/revisiting-sony-pcm-m10-versus-o=
lympus.html

Perhaps this means I should just get the PCM-M10 (it upgrades well to good =
mics, yes?) and focus on noise and hiss reduction techniques in post. In fa=
ct, I'm more interested in the low frequencies of the frog more than anythi=
ng high anyway, so maybe there are good noise removal techniques for my pur=
pose. Any have recommended techniques in Ableton or Audacity?

Thanks so much for any additional advice! I'm excited to contribute what I =
can to this expert body of knowledge.

Cheers,
Rich
--- In  "Rich DDT" <> wrote:

> I'm new to nature recording but plan to use sounds from the outdoors to u=
se in music productions. I want a great quality setup but looking to spend =
less than $300-350, at least for now. An external mic may very well be in m=
y future, but for now I want to start simple using the onboard mic.

> I've read reviews here: http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2009/11/summary-of-=
portable-digital-audio.html
> including the followup articles, as well as several other posts on this f=
orum.

> At first the Zoom H4n seemed like the most versatile choice, having XLR /=
 1/4" inputs seemed great for being able to directly capture musicians too =
(another desired usage). However the reviews preferred the low noise of the=
 Sony PCM-M10, esp for capturing quieter outdoor sounds and ambiance. The O=
lympus LS-11 seemed tempting too, but the more I think about it, the more I=
 think I'd use the pre-record buffer for capturing a definitive croak (or t=
weet or howl).

> Using onboard mics, am I right to choose the M10? Will I really notice a =
big sound quality loss with the Zoom H4n?

> Assuming the M10 is still the best choice, can anyone recommend these win=
dscreens over the expensive $50 Sony model ADPCM2?
> http://store.micover.com/micover-slipover-mini-for-sony-pcm-m10-on-board.=
html
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470272-REG/Rode_DEAD_KITTEN_Dead_Ki=
tten_WindMuff_for.html

> Thanks for any assistance! I really appreciate the dedication to quality =
I've seen in this forum.  :)