Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2012 10:06 pm ((PST))
I use the pre-record buffer on my PCM-M10 a lot. It saves having to listen to
lots of unwanted material later. There are other ways, like pressing the track
mark button, or even writing down the time, but I'm too disorganised and
impatient.

I recently used its internal mics in a quiet environment for the first time
recently, and was a little shocked at how much self noise I can hear on the
recordings. For an example, listen to:
http://soundcloud.com/petershute/111229-03brandyck

This is what prompted my recent thread about external microphones. I'm going to
start one soon about noise removal techniques to try to improve that recording
and some others like it.

If the Zoom is even noiser, then I'm glad I didn't get one. But I think it can
record 4 tracks? If so then that would be nice.

If you won't be recording in a very quiet environment then it shouldn't be a
problem. I made another recording nearby to that place a couple of days later
when it was warmer, and the background of buzzing flies obscured the microphone
hiss.

Disclaimer: I'm very new to all this, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Peter Shute