Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in the

Subject: Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoors / capturing frogs in the
From: "Rich DDT" sfroommate
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2012 8:15 pm ((PST))
I'm new to nature recording but plan to use sounds from the outdoors to use in
music productions. I want a great quality setup but looking to spend less than
$300-350, at least for now. An external mic may very well be in my future, but
for now I want to start simple using the onboard mic.

I've read reviews here:
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2009/11/summary-of-portable-digital-audio.html
including the followup articles, as well as several other posts on this forum.

At first the Zoom H4n seemed like the most versatile choice, having XLR / 1/4"
inputs seemed great for being able to directly capture musicians too (another
desired usage). However the reviews preferred the low noise of the Sony
PCM-M10, esp for capturing quieter outdoor sounds and ambiance. The Olympus
LS-11 seemed tempting too, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'd
use the pre-record buffer for capturing a definitive croak (or tweet or howl).

Using onboard mics, am I right to choose the M10? Will I really notice a big
sound quality loss with the Zoom H4n?

Assuming the M10 is still the best choice, can anyone recommend these
windscreens over the expensive $50 Sony model ADPCM2?
http://store.micover.com/micover-slipover-mini-for-sony-pcm-m10-on-board.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470272-REG/Rode_DEAD_KITTEN_Dead_Kitten_WindMuff_for.html

Thanks for any assistance! I really appreciate the dedication to quality I've
seen in this forum.  :)

Cheers,
Rich