Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?

Subject: Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:11 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "nwindigo"

> So what XLR cables do you choose as your best cables and why?

My best cables I make. Occasionally I end up with a commercial cable and
they are definitely 2nd class. Making cables is not hard and you will
then have the skill to repair cables.

I use Canare star quad cable in both diameters, using the smaller
diameter for longer runs. Canare cable has a excellent jacket for ease
of use. It's easy to handle in a wide range of temperatures, not as
slick as others when wet. It has solid braided shielding, the only kind
you want to have for field cables. The star quad design uses paired
conductors (4 for one channel) to have the most interference resistance.
I use Neutrik X-HD connectors. These are sealed weatherproof connectors
when connected together. I use the version that's black with gold pins.
Unless you specify you won't get the waterproof connectors on commercial
cables.

My most used cables are short, for handheld use, about 5'. Work out your
own arm's reach and measure from how you carry your recorder, then add a
little.

I use a 15' high tripod with my mics a lot, so a 25' length is good for
that. For longer runs I have several lengths of 25' & 50'. And a couple
100'. I can get out to about 450' if necessary. All the cables I carry
rolled on kite hoop line spools.

I pretty much only record in stereo, which requires two channels. I
split the star quad to individual wires to carry two channels in a
single cable. This method is a lot easier than trying to string two
cables for the two channels. This would not be a good idea in studio
where there are more and closer interference sources as it partially
negates the star quad design, but in nature recording it's just fine.
Those cables are made up with 5 pin Neutrik X-HD XLR connectors. Then at
the mic end and recorder end I have separate short Y breakouts, one 5
pin to two 3 pin. For conductors for the Y's I use the inner cables out
of some Canare star quad snake cable, those are smaller diameter than
two of the regular cable so easier to get two into the 5 pin end. For
the mic end I also use soft braided tube on the outside. This I used to
strip from hiking shoelaces, but currently have some kevlar braided tube
I'm using. This is to minimize handling noise. Because of the braid the
Y's are not as waterproof, so I usually use the cheaper regular Neutrik
3 pin XLR's. Again Black with gold pins.

Always have spares of your cables. Mine almost never fail, but I still
have spares. And on a long trip I'll have a soldering iron along just in
case.

Canare cable comes in a variety of colors. You want to use something you
can see when strung out in the field. I use mostly blue cable, but many
of the other colors are fine too. I just like blue. I use color coded
slip on markers and caps on the Y cable to distinguish right and left
channel. (the left and right cables are also color coded on those.)