What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?

Subject: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:36 am ((PDT))
<<Looking to the gurus here to understand what you look for and
consider your best cable options and too what lengths you've found
most convenient. I'm looking to consider quality before cost.
So far I've come across several cables referenced here and elsewhere
for nature recording -- Mogami, Canare, Monster..>>

Mogami & Canare are excellent cables. Gepco also are highly
recommended. Some Beldens are quite good, but generally I find you
can never go wrong selecting anything from the Canare or Mogami
catalog. I stay away from Monster, not because they aren't good, they
are, but because they are way overpriced & the pricing is justified
by marketing hype which is at best bad science (& at worst outright
bulls**t.)

<<I'd assume that length is based a lot on application (closeness of
recorder to mic, area you record in), but it would seem that there
are lengths that are most frequently used or at least
characteristics that make it better to go one direction or another.
Something more than the impedance and weight if
you're taking them on the trail?>>

With pro mics, preamps & cables there really is no issue between a
length of several feet & many dozens. I wouldn't hang a hundred feet
of cable in a situation which only needs ten feet, but if you need
the distance you'll only lose a negligible amount of high frequency
response & level when running as much as several hundred feet.
I keep my mics close, so a six or ten foot 2 pair is what I like on
location. For stage & studio usage I find the standard 25 foot length
too short & have standardized on 35 foot lengths.

<<Like as not too everyone has a type they really like for lots of
reasons -- sound quality, durability, weight, ease in handling,
current mic/recorder equipment, etc.>>

Canare StarQuad has a fairly heavy duty outside sheath which is great
for any situations which may involve foot traffic over your cables.
It is still quite flexible. Even more flexible, yet not quite as
thickly covered is the Mogami Neglex, which I prefer for weight &
size, but wouldn't want to subject to foot traffic. If your cables
will be walked upon, I'd go with a Belden 8412.

<<So what XLR cables do you choose as your best cables and why?>>

I buy Mogami Neglex & Neutrik connectors in bulk and build my own
cables.

Scott Fraser