Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?

Subject: Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "nwindigo"

>>From the earlier messages (older threads), and from this one I've
> decided to take your advice Walt and plunge into doing the cables
> myself.

Only way to go.

> Found a reasonable supplier for the Canare star quad (Markertek) and
> the 3-pin Neutrik connectors (SJ Media Systems), but any suggestions
> for the Neutrik NC5MX-HD-B/NC5FX-HD-B connectors? I'm checking into
> it, but SJ indicated they're discountinued. Does that sound right?
> Any suggestions on a suitable replacement for outdoor use?

The 5 pins are harder to find, but I don't think they have been
discontinued. Neutrik still lists them on their product list, though it
looks like maybe not in black. Note the shell on the male X-HD XLR's is
stainless steel and shiny even in the black ones. I prefer black XLR as
it's less shiny stuff to scare animals, but functionally the silver
colored ones work the same. I'd contact them and find out. The X-HD
series gained a lot of popularity after the movie "Waterworld" used them
exclusively on their wet sets.
http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_2025799053/NC5MX-HD_detail.aspx
http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_1906126821/NC5FX-HD_detail.aspx

The core pin block on Neutrik XLR are standard, at least with the
various X series, you can interchange them. So, for instance if you find
some of the X series non waterproof XLR's in 5 pin you can use those to
exchange the cores with some 3 pin X-HD series. I've found the 5 pin
non-waterproof on ebay even. Last batch of X-HD 5 pins I got from
Markertek in the last year or so. Even better would be if we could buy
the components separately. I've been meaning to ask Neutrik on that.

I don't think anyone else is making a waterproof XLR as good as the
Neutrik, but I could be wrong on that.