Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?

Subject: Re: What XLR cables would you choose as your best cables and why?
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:37 am ((PDT))
<< I split the star quad to individual wires to carry two channels in a
single cable. This method is a lot easier than trying to string two
cables for the two channels. This would not be a good idea in studio
where there are more and closer interference sources as it partially
negates the star quad design, but in nature recording it's just fine. >>

I can corroborate the urban interference portion of this. Many years
ago I too was using Canare StarQuad as a stereo pair. I eventually
tracked down some occasional, yet persistent, RF problems to the use
of this cable in a 100' length with transformerless Neumann KM140s in
certain concert halls. There were no issues with the transformer
equipped Neumann KM84s. I have since switched to Mogami 2 pair for
all stereo uses & there has never been a recurrence of the RF
problem, regardless of microphone type. The Mogami 2 pair is thicker
than StarQuad, yet much more flexible.
Personally, I would not use StarQuad wired in this fashion with any
transformerless mic, because I don't think there is any part of the
planet which is out of reach of the VLF & short wave portion of the
radio spectrum.

Scott Fraser