Re: M/S decoding help

Subject: Re: M/S decoding help
From: "thxdave" thxdave
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2006 7:32 pm (PDT)
Hi Rob,

Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi Dave--
> Congrats on the great start-up gear! There are many people on this
> list who are experienced with this gear and M-S.

It's only "start up gear" in that I had to put the MKH m/s rig on the
shelf for quite a while. I sold my HHb Portadat close to two years ago
in anticipation of getting the 722. Then, a series of family tragedies
delayed my getting the 722 until recently.

> Although its possible to undo it, most recordists forgo encoding the
> mic signals as they are recorded and just use the M-S headphone
> decoding feature in the 722.

By "forgo encoding the mic signals", do you mean that they record the
two tracks as decoded L/R stereo and NOT record the tracks as M/S tracks?

>  Go to menu #64 select "Input 1,2 (M-S)"
> which will decode a side chain of the input channels just for
> monitoring purposes.

Confused again. Menu item #64 on my 722 is the "INHDD: Space" setting.
Are you using a 744? The closest item I can find to your setting is
under menu item #26 which is labeled "Input 1,2:Linking, MS". Under
this menu, I have the following choices available: >Unlinked<, >Linked
1,2< and >Linked 1,2 and M/S<.

> You can also use headphone monitoring favorites
> to roll through several options quickly. I record to mono files. If
> you are only using a 2 channel waveform editor in post, you can
> record to poly. Mid Mic to Ch1 (L) and Side Mic to Ch 2(R)
>
> As for the M-S matrix in post. With a two channel Waveform editor
> like Peak, you'll have to use audiounits or VST plugs like MDA's.
> (Their's is not one of the easiest to understand is it?)

No it isn't. While I appreciate having flexibility, I found some of
the controls downright confusing. That's why I was looking for a VERY
basic plug-in to test these files with.

> There are
> other free  M-S plugs. One is on Tom Erbe's Soundhack website called
> "+Matrix" and there  a couple of more if you search "M-S" "decode"
> "plug" or similar.

Thanks for that. I'll check them out.

dave