M/S decoding help

Subject: M/S decoding help
From: "thxdave" thxdave
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2006 6:36 am (PDT)
I'm starting to use my MKH60/30 rig again after a long period without
having a field recorder. I just got my SD722 and I'm struggling a
little with the menu options related to m/s recording/decoding. For
example, I know that the 722 allows me to hear the decoded m/s through
the headphones, but I'm not sure if it allows me to record the decoded
m/s into a normal stereo file (as opposed to recording it in m/s
format for later decoding). Any insights on this?

Also, assuming that you record the audio into separate M and S tracks,
does it make any difference to the decoding process if I record in
mono .wav as opposed to poly .wav files?

My final bit of frustration came last night when I tried to decode my
first m/s files and play them back on my computer. I'm using Bias Peak
Message: 5.
Subject: 2 which includes a plug-in (mda Image) that SEEMS to decode m/s --->
Stereo, but the files (sometimes) play back incorrectly. For instance,
I did some "walk-around" tests where I set up my MHK's on a stand and
I circled the mics with my 722 at the end of a 25' mic cable (Star
Quad cable wired to XLR-5 ends) and recorded myself as I called off my
relative positions (center, left, right, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, etc.)
so that I'd have a good way of knowing whether the mics were working
correctly or that I had wired my cable correctly. When I played back
the files in my headphones using the 722's built-in decoder, my
recorded positions were clearly audible and tracked perfectly as I
moved around the mic array. However, when I played these same files
later at home using Peak and the m/s decoder plug-in, nothing seemed
to play back correctly without a LOT of futzing using the slider
controls of the plug. Can anybody recommend a fairly simple m/s
plug-in that I can use so I can make sure that I'm doing all of this
correctly?

Also, the 722 manual tells you about NOT having two m/s decoders
running simultaneously while recording, but it never gives newbies
like me a clear understanding how to configure the recorder properly
for this type of recording. Would anybody be willing to take a stab at
it for me? Don't be afraid to dumb it down as much as you'd like. I'd
like to be able to save a config file on the 722 that would
immediately bring up my "normal" m/s setup every time I need it. I
believe that is possible with this recorder.....and now....back to the
manual. RTFM, Dave....RTFM. ;)

Thanks,
dave