Re: M/S decoding help

Subject: Re: M/S decoding help
From: "maxfrick78" maxfrick78
Date: Sat Jul 8, 2006 12:18 pm (PDT)
> M-S  can be recorded as "encoded" or as discrete M and S channels. I
> prefer the later because  there are more options when creating the
> stereo image in post using speakers or whatever monitoring I want to
> emulate.

Hi everybody,
many people have expressed the preference of recording MS-mics to discrete =
mid and side
tracks. I would prefer the opposite since if you record a decoded "normal s=
tereo" signal
you can much easier audition and handle your material because it's just lik=
e using any
other stereo file. And in post you still have all the options of encoding i=
t into MS, treating
it with any changes you want and decoding it back to normal stereo because =
the
conversion LR -> MS -> LR is fairly simple and doesn't change a thing in th=
e actual source
material. Just the fact that it's recorded with an MS-mic setup makes it an=
 'MS-type-
recording', not the way you store it on your tracks. Or am I missing any ad=
vantage of the
discrete M and S-channels here?

Dave,
some people have mentioned the most simple and 'non-magical' way of decodin=
g an MS
recording, but I think I didn't see the how-to-do-it in this thread yet. It=
's been probably
said several times in the archives, but just to un-mystify MS-decoding I'll=
 give an example
of a possible setup:

All you need is a DAW or mixing-console with 3 tracks and the possibility t=
o invert the
polarity (swap the phase) on each channel. If you have a recrding with disc=
rete M and S
channels you put the M-signal on the first track and the S-signal you route=
 / put on track
2 and 3. Then you pan track 2 to hard left and track 3 to hard right. One o=
f the two side-
track needs an inversion of the polarity (don't remeber which one for corre=
ct left and right
image, you can try using your clock-test) and that's it! If all the channel=
s are set to the
same volume you get your decoded stereo-signal.

If you use a DAW it might be safe to insert the same plugin (that you use t=
o swap the
phase, e.g. TRIM in ProTools) into all three channels to avoid problems wit=
h delays that the
plug introduces.
You can now start altering the balance between M and S, and thus the stereo=
-width, by
simply moving the faders of your M and S tracks up and down. Or put an EQ o=
n the M-
channel. Or..
BTW, decoding LR to MS is exactly the same except that you have to boost th=
e entire signal
with 6dB.
Good luck!
Max