Re: M/S decoding help

Subject: Re: M/S decoding help
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2006 10:04 pm (PDT)
At 10:04 PM -0600 7/7/06, Bruce Wilson wrote:

re:

>There is nothing special about the linked/unlinked setting, it's just the
>linked setting is easier/faster to adjust volumes than doing each channel
>separately. As you see, the gain of each channel is displayed, so you can
>make the adjustments equally precise, it just takes longer.
>
>Bruce Wilson KF7K
>http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson

Except there are two linked settings, right? (I don't have a 722 to
look at). The 722 manual suggests using "link stereo pair"  to record
discretely with the ch 1 input knob functioning a ganged volume for
both inputs and the ch 2 knob functioning as balance.  It says use
"link m-s" to encode to L-R with the same knob behavior.

Of course, one can undo encoding way, so adopting a good system for
making and naming the files is probably just as important!  I record
mono files discretely and mark them as," 20060707_FileName-M.wav" and
"20060707_FileName-S.wav." This reduces confusion because any stereo
output files I make default to the correct naming whether they are
interleaved or split.

I forget, does Peak create new files on the scratch disk when
importing split stereo files or directly display the original files?
If the former, one might as well record in poly and have the two
channels "tied" for easier file management and use file naming to
identify that its M-S. Rob D.