Re: M/S decoding help

Subject: Re: M/S decoding help
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2006 9:22 pm (PDT)
At 2:31 AM +0000 7/8/06, thxdave wrote:
>Hi Rob,
>
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Dave--
>>  Congrats on the great start-up gear! There are many people on this
>>  list who are experienced with this gear and M-S.
>
>It's only "start up gear" in that I had to put the MKH m/s rig on the
>shelf for quite a while. I sold my HHb Portadat close to two years ago
>in anticipation of getting the 722. Then, a series of family tragedies
>delayed my getting the 722 until recently.
>
>>  Although its possible to undo it, most recordists forgo encoding the
>>  mic signals as they are recorded and just use the M-S headphone
>>  decoding feature in the 722.
>
>By "forgo encoding the mic signals", do you mean that they record the
>two tracks as decoded L/R stereo and NOT record the tracks as M/S tracks?

M-S  can be recorded as "encoded" or as discrete M and S channels. I
prefer the later because  there are more options when creating the
stereo image in post using speakers or whatever monitoring I want to
emulate.  But, even when recording discrete M(lL) and S (R) channels
on a 722, you can still monitor an  M-S stereo image in your
headphones. See below.

>>   Go to menu #64 select "Input 1,2 (M-S)"
>>  which will decode a side chain of the input channels just for
>  > monitoring purposes.
.

Yes a 744T. My 722 manual doesn't show menu numbers. "Input 1,2
(M-S)"  is in under Headphone Source Options.  "HP..." This allows
you to hear an M-S stereo image in your headphones even when the
channels are being recorded discretely (not encoded)

"Input 1,2: Linking, MS," encodes the signal into one established
stereo image. You can further  adjust the stereo image in post, buts
its more complicated. See below.

>Confused again. Menu item #64 on my 722 is the "INHDD: Space" setting.
>Are you using a 744? The closest item I can find to your setting is
>under menu item #26 which is labeled "Input 1,2:Linking, MS". Under
>this menu, I have the following choices available: >Unlinked<, >Linked
>1,2< and >Linked 1,2 and M/S<.
>
>>  You can also use headphone monitoring favorites
>>  to roll through several options quickly. I record to mono files. If
>>  you are only using a 2 channel waveform editor in post, you can
>>  record to poly. Mid Mic to Ch1 (L) and Side Mic to Ch 2(R)
>>
>>  As for the M-S matrix in post. With a two channel Waveform editor
>>  like Peak, you'll have to use audiounits or VST plugs like MDA's.
>>  (Their's is not one of the easiest to understand is it?)
>
>No it isn't. While I appreciate having flexibility, I found some of
>the controls downright confusing. That's why I was looking for a VERY
>basic plug-in to test these files with.

+Matrix is more straight-forward.  For files recorded discretely, set
in "LR to MS" mode. For files encoded into M-S  in the field that you
still want to adjust, insert two plugs: first s +matrix plug set to
"M-S to LR" mode, second: a +Matrix plug in "LR to MS" mode.

Some peculiarities of note:
The stereo effect requires some "mid" volume to produce the left <->
right differences, even with very wide or "horizontal" stereo images.

Getting sounds from the right side in your setting to play on the
right speaker is a function of the position of the mkh-30  capsules
relative to the mid. If you use the "normal" M-S encode setting and
the right side plays on the left, rotate the mkh-30 180 degrees in
your mount for future recordings. (Use the reverse M-S setting for
the prior recordings). Rob D.