Re: M/S decoding help

Subject: Re: M/S decoding help
From: "thxdave" thxdave
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2006 7:55 pm (PDT)
Hi Ed,

Ed Anson <> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Others have already answered most of your questions. I'll just add a
> bit to some items.
>
> On Jul 7, 2006, at 9:34 AM, thxdave wrote:
> >
> > Also, assuming that you record the audio into separate M and S tracks,
> > does it make any difference to the decoding process if I record in
> > mono .wav as opposed to poly .wav files?
>
> You can do either, but since you are editing in Bias Peak, I would
> suggest that you use the poly format. That will create a stereo file
> that you can easily edit in Peak. If you create two separate files, you
> will need an extra step to combine them into a stereo file before
> editing. Note that some other editors have the reverse preference.

As I noted with Dan's email, Peak allows you to "Import Dual Mono" so
I think I can work either way....I guess.

> I also use the mda image plug-in with Peak, and it works quite well.
> However, it has one quirk that may be affecting you. The top slider
> controls the conversion performed. Unfortunately, it defaults to
> "LR->LR" which has no effect. You want to click it one notch to the
> left, which is "MS->LR". All of the other defaults are what you will
> probably want most of the time. Play with them a bit to see what they
> do, but usually keep the top slider at "MS->LR".

Yeah, that one tripped me up a bit until I figured out the slider
setting. Like I mentioned in another answer, I love having lots of
control UNTIL those controls get in the way of a simple decoding
process. Hence my search for a "simple" m/s decoder plug.

Thanks,
dave