Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:26:54 -0400
From: Charles Bragg <>

>         I agree that *no* sound reproduction system will deliver a perfect
> copy. I'll go even further - there is no such thing as a perfect copy of
> anything, but the discussion was specifically about ATRAC's imperfections.

Actually, this thread got started when a beginner asked me to provide my
thoughts on the relative capabilities of solid state card recorders and
minidisc. It was then perverted into a ATRAC bashing session. The
relative importance of the ATRAC problems against the problems of other
recorders is really what should be remembered. With that go right ahead
with ATRAC bashing if you must. Believe me, I think I've heard it all,
and checked out all I've heard.

> OK. And thanks for the myth-busting post you put up about the Cornell test.
> That is now in my permanent files.

I've commented about it several times, but it's like the energizer
bunny, ingrained in the ATRAC folklore. I really had concluded no one
listened, thanks for noticing.