Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
From: jan.larsson <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:30:57 +0200
 > A listening evaluation of just ATRAC alone is not as easy to get as it
 > might seem. To do such a test in a valid way one has to have
absolutely
 > the same path for both samples everywhere else, do not assume that
 > different digital paths will be equal. It would be best done on the
 > ATRAC chip itself, but few want to dissect this out of their recorder.

No you dont, what a strange statement to make. I dont remember the
model of the minidisc-recorder used but it was a rack-mounted Sony
designed for use in mastering studios. The test was
digital-in/digital-out and everything was reset and turned off as much
as possible on this machine like on the other various encoder/decoders
involved. Everything was level and phase-matched which we hade some
trouble doing giving the nature of these formats (I was the one working
with Dolby Digital (AC3)).

It was digital from the same reference recording (wich included test
tones and so on) and didnt enter analog again until hitting the DAC in
the CD-player.

As I said. This was music and not really applicable to recordings of
nature. But when listening through good equipment that allows you
follow what every musician was playing and so on I dont think anyone
had any trouble picking out the MP3:s etc.. Those who listened through
equipment with less control (like a boombox) had much more trouble.

And since this matched very well the stated objectives and requirements
that these codec:s were originally developed from we were quite
satisfied. The ears and the cognitive system matched the maths. MP3 was
not developed to sound like the original. It was developed in germany
to send muzak to stores and elevators through ISDN-lines and to work
with that type of music in particular. And do it with least possible
harm.

So the TCDD10 was never anywhere close, I didnt even own it at the time
these tests were setup and run. I am currently running it with a
prototype micpre/ADC and I am very happy with the sound I get now ;=)

I dont see what all this ATRAC-angst amongst its users has to do with
nature recording? Correct me if I'm wrong but there exists quite a
lively minidisc-community on the net where those who are really
interested can discuss these matters no? I dont mind anyone using
minidisc to record birds. I dont even care. I love to listen to
recordings made with almost anything. I dont use minidisc myself - but
I wont say why so no one needs to get upset ;=)

If I used ATRAC and worried so much about it's effects as some of its
users tend to do. And be so upset at every hint that it may not be the
perfect straight wire with no sound. Well, I would put my mind to rest
simply by using something else and get on with more
important/interesting things in life. So please stop worrying so much.
If it sounds good then it is good. It need not be perfect.

/Jan L.