Re: Only a question

Subject: Re: Only a question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:35:29 -0400
From: jan.larsson <>

> Sure, who hasnt done the blind tests of MP3, ATRAC and AC3. Our tests
> gave a completely different result. But then, we tested with music so
> the results are not valid here.
>
> My point was that anyone that worry about ATRAC removing to many bits
> from recordings should make up their own mind. And a test is so easy to
> setup you can DIY. Learn to trust their own senses. Never trust anyone
> on the internet judging audio quality for you.

A listening evaluation of just ATRAC alone is not as easy to get as it
might seem. To do such a test in a valid way one has to have absolutely
the same path for both samples everywhere else, do not assume that
different digital paths will be equal. It would be best done on the
ATRAC chip itself, but few want to dissect this out of their recorder.
I'm sure Sony in it's development of the chips does test just the chip.
When blind tests are constructed in this manner, the results are pretty
uniform. When the tests are flawed by unmatched paths, the results can
be variable depending on path choices.

There is something to be said for test of the entire recorder, but one
should not confuse those with tests of a specific component chip.

I've done a 8 year long listening test and evaluation on ATRAC. Of two
versions. I'm certain it's applicable to what I record, because it's
what I record. That, btw, does not just include frogs, although I do
more frogs than anything else. I'll record any interesting sound. It's
very hard for any artificial test to be as accurate as the real thing. I
agree, get out and record and evaluate the recordings. You will find
many causes for grief, not just one. And those will be far more
applicable to improving your recording than someone else's problems or bias.

> You may call me a golden ear or not but I modified my TCD-D10-II the
> other day (the service manual with schematics was available as PDF from
> getmanual.com). Bypassed those awful mic-pre ic:s. An early morning
> soundscape recording I did here in the scandinavian woods this morning
> was almost dramatically better - I originally planned to make a small
> daughterboard using an AD825 as micpre but the 5532 I still use in the
> TCD seem to hack it alone (at least with MKH:s) ;=))

I've heard this about the TCD-D10 numerous times from many sources. Note
if you mean by bringing this up that your listening tests on ATRAC were
of the whole audio chain in the recorders see my comment above and think
about it a bit. The TCD-D10's pre's are a different subject.